Most common flaws made in business-sign design
Advertising is an important element of the marketing mix. Every business knows that and every manager should focus his/ her energy upon setting up the best possible outcome out of strategy notes. The aim of advertising is to grow the attention of the public’s for your business, brand, product or service. So what better approach than via a good signage?
Some of, or to be honest, the business signs are well-proportioned, cautiously balanced, discerningly drawn and flawlessly color-coordinated. In other words, entirely predictable and well invisible.
The 4 most common flaws made in business-sign design are:
- trying to be modest or sophisticated;
- trying to fit, or blend into, the surrounding environment;
- containing too much of information
Great signs are always the most stimulating piece of scenery in their vicinity. This is why they’re noticed even when people aren’t looking for them.
Would you like to have such a sign? Believe it or not, it’s possible, not cheap or easy, but possible.
Consider the extensive white letters stretched across a hillside in Southern California ‘HOLLYWOOD’, a well-known landmark to everybody around the world. Did you know that the sign was originally created and placed by a real-estate company to identify its remote suburban subdivision, Hollywoodland?
Not all business signs will turn out to be famous landmarks, but it is important to keep these common denominators of business signs that do become landmarks in mind:
- They’re dramatic. This can be due to the fact that they’re:
- grossly over-sized,
- strangely placed or
- The Hollywood sign fits all three criteria.
- They’re different , contrasting sharply with their surroundings due to:
- Color. For example, snow-white Hollywood letters against a hillside of dark brown and green.
- Installation. The famous Hollywood sign isn’t on a pole or a board. Its individual letters sit directly on the ground.
- Context. There’s nothing immediately around it to distract from it. Or if there is something important nearby, it’s incorporated into the sign itself.
- There’s something ‘wrong’ with them. Ever notice how the Hollywood letters aren’t level, but rise and fall with the terrain? This makes it far more unforgettable.
There is a serious doubt whether the builder of the Hollywood sign did these brilliant things on purpose. But they worked, even if some of them were unintentional. Do you have the bravery and determination to repeat on purpose the things the Hollywood sign maker did right by accident? If you do, the public will soon be using your sign as a reference point when giving directions.
If you’re able to flatten past these barriers, we would love to see your excellent new landmark sign. Don’t forget that Atelie Demetriades is a company since 1960 with tones of know-how and expertise upon any kind of sign making